It’s Time for a Weekend Getaway!
Are you tired of the hard part of “working on your relationship?”
Maybe you have been considering couples therapy, reading self-help books together, or signing up for a weekend workshop. All these things are helpful, but it’s crucial to remember that having a healthy relationship requires fun, relaxation, and rejuvenation (not just communication skills training and conflict management).
We encourage couples to get in the regular habit of scheduling a weekend getaway so that they can enjoy romance, connection and shared memories.
This comprehensive guide is here to help you plan your ultimate couples weekend getaway.
Whether you’re looking for a cozy cabin in the woods, a luxurious beachfront resort, or an adventurous outdoor retreat, we’ve got you covered with tips and recommendations to make your weekend unforgettable. As relationship experts, we will show you how to intersperse some healthy relationship strategies into your romantic getaway.
Choose the Perfect Destination for Your Couples Weekend Getaway
The first step in planning a couples weekend getaway is to choose the perfect destination.
Consider what you and your partner enjoy doing together and what type of atmosphere you’re looking for. Are you both nature lovers? Then a cabin in the mountains might be the perfect choice. A beachfront resort could be ideal if you prefer a more luxurious experience. Or, if you’re adventurous, an outdoor retreat with activities like hiking or kayaking might be just what you’re looking for.
Here are some weekend getaway ideas to get you started:
- Beach getaway: Relax on the sandy shores and enjoy romantic walks along the coastline.
- Mountain retreat: Cozy up in a cabin surrounded by breathtaking views and enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and skiing.
- Wine tasting tour: Visit vineyards and indulge in wine tastings while enjoying the beautiful countryside.
- City escape: Explore a vibrant city together, visiting museums, trying new restaurants, and taking in the nightlife.
- Spa trip: Schedule couples massages, luxury spa treatments and healing techniques
Nuture Your Relationship Health During Your Romantic Getaway Weekend
Make the most of your time together by following these seven tips based on John Gottman’s Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work. While you enjoy the romance and adventure, simple keep these ideas in mind:
- Express appreciation. Point out something you like or love about your partner when they least expect it.
- Be deliberate in reaching out to connect. Make a concerted effort to show an interest in what your partner is enjoying about the weekend.
- Speak up. Let your partner know what you like, what excites you, and what they can do to make you happy.
- Enjoy yourselves. A lot of time went into planning this weekend getaway, so make sure to pause periodically end let in the moment. If you can share these tender moments as a couple, all the better.
- Communicate clearly, directly and respectfully. Let your partner know what you need if something is getting on your nerves. The earlier you speak up, the less likely it will turn into a conflict.
- Be vulnerable. Close connection deepens by being emotionally and physically vulnerable with each other. All couples have different levels of comfort with intimacy, and this is normal. Try taking a new risk while your in safe and relaxing environment to become even closer than you already are.
- Bring a workbook with you. Try doing relationship worksheets together between spa treatments or hiking excursions. This can be a great way to have fun while also improving the health of your connection and intimacy. Love Is An Action Verb Couples Therapy Workbook is based on John Gottman’s research and contains over 70 exercises to do with your partner.
Schedule Your Next Couples Weekend Getaway
Once you get home, there will be a lot to do upon re-entry. This is normal and to be expected. Of course you’ll probably feel a little bit closer to your parter as you get back into your busy day to day life, but you’ll also be pulled in different directions and you’ll need to tend to other responsiblities.
Our recommendation is to carve out your next trip right away.
Vacations won’t happen if they aren’t scheduled. There are many affordable weekend getaways, or perhaps you’d rather splurge and go less frequently. Either way, it is essential to set a date for your next romantic excursion so that your relationship doesn’t inadvertently get pushed to the back burner.
Is a Weekend Getaway Not in Your Budget Right Now?
Check out this list of 143 Date Night Ideas for Couples.